You'll find out everything you need to know about collecting your vehicle here:
What documentation do I need to bring when I collect my vehicle?
When collecting your vehicle you must bring the following:
- Your full and valid UK Photocard driving licence. (If you do not have a Photocard Licence a Photo ID is also required.)
- Your driving licence 'Check Code' (see below).
- Your UK National Insurance number.
- Two second forms of identification (see below).
- Your valid credit or debit card.
Identification - showing the drivers name and address.
You are required to supply identification when hiring a vehicle. Alongside your driving licence, we require two additional identification documents dated within the past 3 months which show your name and your home address. Acceptable forms of identification are:
- Utility Bills.
- Credit Card Statements.
- Bank Statements.
- Your last payslip providing it shows your address.
- If none of the above are available, your Council Tax Bill for the Current Year.
Internet printed documents are acceptable.
Driving Licence 'Check Codes'
On 8 June 2015, the photocard paper counterpart stopped being a legal document and the DVLA also stopped updating any old style paper licences.
You need to follow this procedure a few days before you come to collect your vehicle, without this we may be unable to validate your licence and you will be unable to hire a vehicle.
- Please visit View Driving Licence online and login using the required details.
- Once logged in, using the top navigation, go to 'Share Your Licence information'.
- Click 'Get Check Code'.
- Click 'View, Print or Save your licence information'.
- You should print this page and bring it with you. If you canot print the page you must write the code down, be carefull it is case sensitive, and bring that instead.
- You should bring this printout or code with you, along with your other documents, when you come to collect your vehicle.
- If you have any problems in generating a code, you should call the DVLA on 0300 083 0013 (Monday - Friday 9.00am - 5.00pm) for further assistance.
This is required for both photo card driving licences as well as paper driving licences issued before 1998.
Please see the video below for further information and guidance in getting your 'Check Code':
Non-UK licence holders hiring a vehicle in the UK are unaffected by this change, although all previous rules still apply.
I have an old-style driving licence, so does this affect me?
This change is only for the paper counterpart of the two-part plastic licence, not to be confused with a paper driving licence issued before 1998. The pre-1998 licence continues to remain valid but, from 8 June 2015, will no longer be updated. Therefore you will still need to use the "View Driving Licence" service to validate your licence.
How do I gain access to my printed Driving Licence summary?
To obtain your Licence Summary visit View Driving Licence where you can print a PDF. You will need your driving licence number, as well as your National Insurance number and the postcode displayed on your driving licence.
How does this change hiring a vehicle abroad if I hold a UK driving license issued in Great Britain?
You must print a copy of your Licence Summary, obtained from the DVLA, to take with you when driving a vehicle in any of the following countries: Afghanistan, Angola, Austria, Armenia, Bahrain, Balearics, Botswana, Canaries, Croatia, Democratic Republic of Congo, Ireland, Hungary, Libya, Mauritius, Namibia, Oman, Portugal, Slovenia, South Africa, Sweden, and Tunisia.
(c) Fareham Car Hire Ltd trading as Fareham Self Drive 2019 | Design by Digi Toolbox Limited